Sunday, March 4, 2007

Ambo Chasing

I heard the news from a nurse at the GP's office: there's going to be a motor cross competition in town this weekend.

"Sweet!" I think to myself. I'm not a big fan of motor cross. But a bunch of people on motorbikes jumping up and down mounds of dirt - that's got to produce a few injuries. Okay, I think it's sweet not out of a sense of malice, but because I know it's going to create good opportunities to see some sports injuries. Unfortunately, that's the way it is for us lowly med students - if you want to see some cool stuff, you'll have to hope that people get sick or hurt. This is the plan: I go down to the field and watch the competition. When the first injuries happen, I'll just follow the ambulance back to the hospital. I'll be an "ambulance chaser" for the day.

friends to cheer them on. I pick a spot uI drive the twenty kilometers out of town to the field. It's a hot day with not a cloud in the sky; the air is bone dry. The dirt hills created for the race are constantly hosed down by water trucks to minimize dust. I walk past the huge collection of tents and motorbikes to the spectators section next to the field. The competition has already started. Motorbikes weave through the course, powering up the ramps and flying over the little hills. Round and round they go. The small and subdued crowds gathered at the sideline look on, occasionally someone yells out the names of theirnder a tree and watch for a while. Before long, I'm bored. I mean, after watching the 500th motorbike going past, my attention span is about finished. I walk around and take photos from different angles. Two hours and zero crash later, I give up. I've had enough of the race. I'll head back to the hospital and, if someone crashes, the ambulance will take them there.

Well, they must have heard about the med student in town and are trying to avoid me, because at the end of the day, not one person has crashed or even landed funny. So much for my plan to get some practice on handling a sports injury. Good for them. And for me, all I got are these lousy pictures!

No comments: