Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Whoa, We’re Halfway There!

Woohoo! Exams are over, and I am a free man for the next two months. How I need the break, especially after such brutal exams yesterday.

The exams were in Bundaberg, a little over an hour away from Hervey Bay. They were horrible. I must have looked terrified while I was sitting in the lobby of the hospital waiting to get called in. Nurses, wardies, and everyone else who walked past me stopped to tell me, “It’s not that bad.” After an excruciatingly long wait, I was finally given my patient. Then the rest happened so fast, I hardly noticed that time just flew by. At the end, the examiner said cryptically, “I’m not allowed to give you feedback at this point. But enjoy your break and I’ll see you next year.” Yeah, hopefully not in the same scenario.

I spent the rest of the day stewing over little details that went wrong in the exams and every answer that I got wrong or needed prompting for and the awkward silences when I didn’t know what to say, until the evening when I got together with a few of the doctors from the medical team and had mulled wine. Ah, alcohol, I am so glad we are friends again.

Today’s plan: pack up everything I own into my car.

Tomorrow: drive to Brisbane.

Sunday: fly out to California.

Next Wednesday: off to Washington, DC.

And that’s just the plans for the next seven days.

It’ll be a good summer break.

No comments: