Friday, August 8, 2008

Decision 2008

Queensland Health called me today and offered me a job for next year. It’s in a suburb between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Western Australia sent me an email – no deal.

South Australia: not a peep. No email, no phone call. I guess I should put them in the “No” column.

So now the choices for internship are between Logan, Queensland, and Wollongong, New South Wales.

On one shoulder, the nomad in me tells me to run with Wollongong: it’s time for a change of scenery. Brisbane is so four years ago. Go to a new and exciting place, make new friends, start a new life! Wollongong is only ninety kilometers south of Sydney, just think of all the culture you can access. The beach is within walking distance from the hospital. With all the national parks around the city, you won’t feel trapped.

On the other shoulder, the settler in me tells me: with Logan, you can live in Brisbane or the Gold Coast. The commute won’t be long either way. The move will be a piece of cake. You’ll be closer to your friends. The pay is better in Queensland. You’re already thirty-one, do you still really want to move around all the time? Is being able to fit all your worldly possession inside your car still something you want to boast about?

I think I will give the two of them some time to fight it out. I have until next Wednesday to decide on which position to take. Maybe I will have some kind of epiphany between now and then that will help me make a decision. Maybe.

No comments: