Friday, October 12, 2007

Not the Sharpest Knife

With two weeks of the rotation over, I am finding myself getting less stressed out by not being able to answer the impromptu quizzes thrown my way on a daily basis. I must be getting used to it. On a good day, I may be able to answer half the questions. Sometimes when my rotation partner and I get grilled together, it really takes the pressure off, even if the other person is just standing there for moral support. Other times, I am give a reprieve and get sent to do some practical things like putting in cannulas in patients’ arms and taking bloods. My fine motor skills are leaps and bounds better than my ability for memory recall. Find a vein in a frail and dehydrated old lady with paper-thin skin big enough for a medium gauge cannula? No problem, I’ll give it a go. List the causes of pleural effusion? Out of the dozens of causes, I’m stuck after listing four. If the career of a physician is predicated on the ability of memorizing long lists, I may have better luck at surgery where manual dexterity counts for something.

No comments: