Saturday, January 5, 2008

Adventure, Interrupted

Before heading out of town, I decide to check my email. And lucky that I did. My medical school has emailed to tell me that I have to take a supplementary exam for the medicine rotation in ten days!

So I really did that badly back in November?! A million things go through my mind. I have not been studying at all in December. I can’t take this supplementary exam cold. I have to turn around and fly back to Brisbane as soon as I can to prepare for the exam! So just like that, my adventure in New Zealand comes to an abrupt end. James will have to continue the trip on his own.

I head to the town information center to book a bus back to Christchurch. As if the interruption to my trip isn’t enough, it turns out that there is no bus from Hokitika to Christchurch. The closest one goes from Kumara Junction twenty kilometers away. The helpful lady at the desk gets on the phone. She tells me the bus from Kumara Junction is full. I will have to get to Greymouth – forty kilometers away – for the 1:45 p.m. bus to Christchurch and I have just missed the shuttle bus going to Greymouth. I look at my watch: 11:40 a.m. I have two hours. Without hesitation, I reserve the bus ticket, and then get on my bike and starting pedaling north to Greymouth, while keeping a close eye on my cycling computer. The race is on – I need to be going at least 20 kmph if I want to make it to Greymouth on time for the bus.

Thankfully, the flat terrain and the slight tailwind make going 20 kmph not an overly demanding proposition. I push through with only a five-minute quick break half way. As I pedal into the Greymouth Information Center, I see the bus pulling away. Quickly, I run into the building and tell the lady at the counter my situation. She gets on the phone, talks to a couple of people, then tells me, “The driver is turning around to come back.” Yes, I am saved!

As the driver opens the door to the luggage compartment, she expresses her displeasure at having to turn the bus around. I apologize and thank her profusely. Two minutes later, we are back on the road to Christchurch. The road winds its way up the mountain and soon rejoins the road we rode on just a few days ago. Watching the scenery flashing by on high speed in reverse, I am soon lulled to sleep by the rhythmic rocking of the bus.

In the late afternoon, the bus pulls into the center of Christchurch. As the bus comes to a stop at Cathedral Square, I step off to collect my bike and panniers. Okay, now that I am back in Christchurch, I need to find a place to stay for the night and figure out a way to get back to Brisbane as soon as I can.

No comments: