Sunday, January 20, 2008

Killing Time in Chang-I

My journey from Brisbane to Lubwe, Zambia looks like this: flights from Brisbane to Singapore; Singapore to Johannesburg, South Africa; Johannesburg to Lusaka, Zambia; then one day bus ride from Lusaka to Lubwe. The first three are fairly easy; it’s the last leg that I am a little worried about – the bus ride may be more painful and unpredictable than the first three legs combined.

Flying over the Channel Country in central Australia where there was a lot of flooding in the last couple of weeks


But that’s later, no point in thinking too much about it now. I flew out of Brisbane this afternoon. An uneventful seven-hour flight got me to Singapore, where I have six hours to kill. It’s easy enough to take the train into the city, but with all that’s on offer inside Chang-I Airport, I think I can kill six hours here. Having transited through Singapore twice before, I definitely think it’s the best of the airports I have seen.

First of all, they have free internet access. Yes, FREE! They even have booths for people to plug in their laptops and surf the internet, completely free, with no time limit. And that’s where I am writing this post. Okay, they already had me with just the free internet. There are also TV lounges with comfy chairs. The airport staff is very friendly and helpful. The other stuff at the airport is pretty standard: duty free shops, bookstores, and whatever other stores for you to window shop at. And, they got top marks from the people at Sleeping in Airports. Can you tell I am a big fan? On the other hand, Singapore the city is a different story. I won’t start.

With one and half hours until my flight, maybe I should mosey on over to the gate. I don’t know what the internet situation is like in Zambia. I will update with posts if I get internet access there.

1 comment:

Brighton Symphony Orchestra said...

Rochester International Airport also has free wi-fi and comfy lounge chairs. :)