Sunday, December 24, 2006

Arriving in Melaka

With the month-long cycling trip over, I left Vietnam yesterday and flew to Singapore. My flight ticket allows me to have a stop over in Singapore before going back to Brisbane. Because I have no plans to do any shopping, Singapore does not really have anything to offer. And so I will spending the next ten days in Malaysia. I will first spend a few days in Melaka, then head up to Kuala Lumpur to visit my high school friend Andrea.

The bus trip from Singapore to Melaka consists of two segments: Singapore to Johor Bahru, then Johor Bahru to Melaka. It is relatively painless. The only hassle is crossing the Singapore-Malaysia border. After the bus from downtown Singapore gets to Singapore customs, we have to get off, clear customs, and reboard the bus. After getting taken across the strait on the causeway, we have to get off again, clear customs at the Malaysian side, then reboard the bus to the Johor Bahru bus station, where I get another bus to Melaka.

Arriving in Melaka in the early afternoon, I check into Sama Sama Guesthouse in Chinatown. Despite the really basic rooms, the small guesthouse has a lot of character. After setting my bag down, I go out for a wander around the wonderfully preserved Chinatown and taste the cheap and excellent food. I have dinner at the weekend night market set up along one of the streets of Chinatown. The diverse population of Melaka is a mix of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and Portuguese descendants. They have been doing fusion cuisine hundreds of years before fusion cuisine became hip. And what an amazing result! I know I will definitely hang aroud this town for a few days just to taste the myriad of foods it has to offer.

Texting

Waiting for Customers


Family Trishaw Ride

Walking Past Graffittied Wall

The Orangutan House

View from inside Sama Sama Guesthouse

1 comment:

侧耳倾听 said...

like that sama sama window ,feeling so quiet^^^