Monday, December 11, 2006

Duc Pho to Quy Nhon

Today I have a one-track mind: to pedal the 140 km to Quy Nhon before it gets dark. Last time I did over 100 km I had to do the last 10 km in the dark. That wasn't so much fun.

Last night I heard rain throughout the night, but it looks like the weather is cooperating this morning. I'm out the door at 8 am. Three kilometers later, it's breakfast time. Fifteen minutes and two bowls of pho later, I'm back on the road.

The Vietnamese diet is perfect for cycling. It's high in carbs and low in fat and protein. Whether it's pho, bun, or rice, it always comes with a bit of meat and salad. The portions are big enough to fill me up, but small and light enough that I won't feel bloated or lethargic after the meal. When I'm on the road, I often pop into one of the countless roadside stalls selling these tasty noodle soups throughout the day. A bowl or two of noodle soups are enough to propel me through the next twenty kilometers or more.

After lunch, I'm back on the road. The midday heat makes me search for a good spot for a break. In a village, I spot a lush area in front of a drink stall with a bunch of green coconuts on the ground. Under the trees, a few hammocks swing idly with the breeze. Perfect! I lean my bike against one of the trees, order two coconuts from the drink lady, and stretch out on a hammock. With the breeze gently blowing, I lay in the hammock and drink the sweet coconut juice. My eyes gaze upwards through the trees and at nothing in particular. I can spend the rest of the day like this, I think to myself.

But my one-track mind wins the day. A half hour later, I'm back on the road, pedal to the meta...uh, pedal to the...whatever, my legs are back in automatic mode: push, push, push. I wave to the kids yelling hello from inside their houses, exchange glances with passengers on passing buses, and nod hello to farmers on the side of the road taking a break from work. With the wind blowing past my ears, I fly down the road. Some parts of Highway 1 follows the undulating hills. I power up each hill, then enjoy the coast down to the trough, then up the next hill, then down...

Towards five o'clock, I ride into the center of Quy Nhon. After looking at a couple of hotels, both offer rooms for $10, I pedal on, in search of one that offers cheaper rooms. By chance, I happen upon a backpacker's hostel by the beach. "Do you have dorm beds?" I ask. "Yes, 40,000 dong per night." That's music to my ear.

I push the bike up the ramp into the hostel as the last ray of light evaporates and darkness covers the sky. Mission accomplished!

Stats:
Distance: 139.9 km
Time: 6h 4m
Average speed: 23.1 kmph
Maximum speed: 54.5 kmph
Odometer: 931.5 km

1 comment:

侧耳倾听 said...

somewhat like a sweet weekend trip in a charming countryside ,with breeze,winding roads,working farmers,lovely kids,and green plants ,also maybe some pleasant birdcalls!