Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Dai Lanh to Nha Trang

With a pretty and deserted beach, Dai Lanh is a nice place for hanging around a bit, even with the prostitutes in front of every other shop trying to get business. But I have to head down to Nha Trang to meet up with Chris for the rest of the ride to Saigon.

I walk out of the guesthouse and see the bright sunlight beating down on the courtyard of the guesthouse. This is the first time so far in Vietnam with not a cloud in the sky. Glad that I won't have to face the prospect of riding in the rain anymore, I say goodbye to Adrian and head down the road.

A strong headwind greets me as I start, and it stays for most of the day, making it one of the more difficult days. However, this is compensated by the spectacular scenery along the way, with mountains to the west, the ocean to the east, and rice paddies flanking the road on either side. The road goes over a few small mountain passes and undulating hills. Add the strong sun beating down into the mix, and that makes a perfect day for swinging on a hammock and sipping coconut or sugar cane juice.

Ninety kilometers and several long hammock breaks later, I roll into Nha Trang and pass the inviting beach and broad oceanside promenade where locals hang out in the late afternoon sun. I check into the hotel where Chris is staying and we go to dinner.

After quite a few days out of touristy places and already gotten used to the much cheaper prices of small towns, I brace myself for all the trappings that come with a big tourist drawcard like Nha Trang: inflated prices for everything and the constant call of "Motorbike?" by drivers hanging out on curbs.
Stats:
distance: 89.7 km
time: 4h 35m
Avg: 19.5 km/h
Max: 49.5 km/h
Odometer: 1164.2 km

No comments: