Monday, December 18, 2006

Food Poisoning, Episode 2

I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of retching in the dark. "Chris?" I call out. "I guess I got it this time," he mumbles from the bathroom. I turn on the light. The only thing I can do is to offer him some water and activated charcoal pills. Having gone through the same thing only a little over two weeks ago, I know the only thing we can do is to let it run its course, so to speak. Climbing back onto bed, I search for tinges of cramping or discomfort in my stomach. None so far, but am I going to get it too?

In the morning when I wake up without having my stomach turned inside out, I am a bit relieved. Having been up all night, poor Chris is exhausted and dehydrated.

Last night we had dinner at one of the countless restaurants lining the road going out of town. Chris had beef, I had squid, and we shared vegetables. It could be the beef, it could be a local bug that I've gotten used to, or it could be what Chris had for lunch; we will never know.

Riding is out of the question for Chris. Our rest day will have to be extended, but only by one day. I will have to get to Saigon, two days away, by December 20 if I were to take the train back up to Hanoi. We will see how Chris feels tomorrow morning. I may have to go by myself.

While Chris is holed up in the hotel to recuperate, I ride out to the sand dunes for a quick look.

Waitress at a family cafe

The sand dunes at Mui Ne extends to the sea

Rippled Sand

Sunset at the fishing port

Afterglow

Coming Home

The Day's Haul

Local Cyclist

1 comment:

侧耳倾听 said...

sorry to hear that your friend got food-poisoned! but the pictures there are really charming!